Thursday, January 18, 2007

ANGELINA JOLIE A BLACK WOMAN

Angelina Jolie is playing the role of Mariane van Neyenhoff, Daniel Parl's wife. Okay. I understand that Angelina is a box office sure bet, but she's playing Mariane van Neyenhoff. I would understand this decision if Angelina Jolie looked like Marine. She doesn't. Not to me anyway. I can understand if Angelina was African American/Black. She's not. I could even understand if Jolie were Hispanic. No dice. Hell, Angelina could even be Jewish and I'd understand. But Angelina Jolie is not. She doesn't look like this woman. So why is Jolie playing a black woman? I know of other actresses who would have made a better choice: I have few suggestions:
This is Angelina Jolie:


This is the real Mariane Pearl



My top picks:





Okay, so I added my pic for fun.

Don't be surprised if Jon Voight plays Martin Luther King.

7 comments:

Mari said...

Okay, so that is you? You're cute!

Not sure why they are getting a white woman to play a black woman. Come on, there are lots of talented black women in Hollywood. Who knows what is running through movie company minds.

I personally can't STAND Angelina. She is so over exposed.

Anonymous said...

But there are also some black actresses who play white characters. Maya Rudolph on Saturday Night Live is one of them. And she actually looks a lot like Mariane Pearl.

Anonymous said...

I don't know of any black actresses portraying white real life people. I don't see Thandie Newton playing Marilyn Monroe, or Cecile Tyson playing Jane Goodall. Portraying people and events that are real life people accurately is very important, if for no other reason than for historical significance. To play a "character" who is ficticious is one thing. Playing a real life person is another.

Lea

Anonymous said...

Maya Rudolph became famous for her portrayal of Donatella Versacci on Saturday Night Live. And Ms. Versacci looks like a real life white person to me.

Anonymous said...

Maya Rudolph can portray Donatella Versacci so well mainly because she herself is half white too, but even if that weren't a factor, this is satire comedy.(SNL portrays both Star Jones and Oprah as men). I'm specifically talking about real life situations.

Lea

Anonymous said...

To answer your question anonymous, Mainly because it's hard enough for ethnic actresses to get jobs in roles that doesn't include booty shaking, and 'hey girl'. There aren't any similarities between Angelina Jolie and Mariane Pearl. They aren't the same nationality, ethnicity, hell, they may not even be of the same religion(I'm not sure)nada. And it's so out of place. At least Maya Rudolph favors Donatella. Angelina Jolie/ Mariane Pearl. No similarities. No efforts made to be believable. It's easier for Hollywood to change the person to fill box office seats rather than bet on black and be realistic to the story. Would it bother you if Daniel Pear, God rest his soul, was played by Will Smith?

Anonymous said...

I've just googled Angelina and her roots and she is of French Canadian/Native American roots. No sisterhood here. But I do believe that her lips are real.

Lea