Thursday, October 11, 2007

BLACK VS AFRICAN AMERICAN

Do you claim to be "black" or "African American"? I was reading a blog where the blogger says that we(black/African Americans) should stop calling ourselves African Americans and call ourselves blacks... The bloggers comment stirred something in me because I don't feel as if I should choose. I use the words interchangeably.

There are problems with both titles. For instance, what other group of people identify themselves by their color? To me, it shows a lack of origin, culture and history. But I am comfortable with identifying myself as a Black American. So because it's convenient to say, it's a keeper?

Now the title of African American holds promise; however, when I think of an African American, I think of Barack Obama, my great-grand daddy, Charlize Theron. Not Beyonce', my cousin Essie, or Sean "P-Diddy" Combs. The latter three were born and raised here in the U.S. However, they all have African Ancestors.

I guess the answer lies in how one sees him/her self. I'll continue to call myself American, and if asked, "what race are you?", I'll say either African American, or black. I simply refused to be referred to as colored.

Hopefully in my life time we can agree on a universal name. I for one choose American.

I'm out.

Lea

No comments: