Tuesday, November 08, 2005

As we enter into this Holiday Season, I challenge everyone of us to 'adopt a sad soul.' It can be a life changing experience.
I use to work in the Chaplain's office, and every year between the months of November and December, we noticed a fluxuation in suicides. I asked the chaplain what was going on, and he informed me that it was depression, and loneliness. The Holiday's seems to magnify the hurt that individuals feel during this festive time of year. And that very often, the Holiday's are closely associated to tragic events in a person's life.
I was so moved by the chaplain's comments, that I started a tradition "adopting a sad soul."
This entails being a little more individuals lives that you come in contact with.
Now, I'm not asking you to be a busy body. I'm just asking you to maybe be a little nicer to the neighbor.
Maybe the woman/man across the street from you has a loved one serving in Iraq this Holiday, taking a pie over to them and letting them know that you care even though you hardly speak to one another, goes a long way.
Or how about smiling and waving to the mean person down the street.
How about encouraging the local youths in your area, to reach for their dreams. You never know, you may be the only one to have done so, and it may changes their lives.
Or how about giving a bit more in your charities.
What about volunteering at your local school or church? They can all use the help.
Or forgiving someone who has wronged you, and maybe doesn't deserve your forgiveness.
How about holding a friend's hand, as he/she goes to the doctor?
I challenge everyone to do this this Holiday season, and I double dare you to not let it stop on Jan.1, but to continue for as long as you live.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea! And an even better idea to continue the action past the holidays -- Always!

Paz

ME said...

Thanks for taking notice Paz. In the mist of record breaking weather, I pray that we have record breaking kindness across the nation.