Friday, December 23, 2005

KEEPING IT REAL

I've recently been criticized for my characters and the type of stories that I write. (I'm only on book 2 and already shit is happening).Ladies and gentlemen, I don't do fluff. I have on my website: When Real Life Hits The Pages of Romance. That means that you won't always see a hunky dory journey, because I've been in love with the same man for over twelve years, and although I am in paradise, it hasn't been neither hunky nor dory. Do you get my meaning? I love him and he loves me. We have a healthy relationship, but sometimes I imagine myself running him over in my minivan. And he's admitted to sometimes fantasizing about karate chopping me in the throat. It's just a passing thought that neither one of us would ever act on, but we do sometimes drive one another crazy.(Please do not mistake this for any type of violence, because the first time the Mr. ever lays his hand on me, he'll find himself in jail w/ Bubba, sans hand) And profanity is hardly ever used, but we do hash out our differences.
I relay different, non violent, types of behavior into my books. I'm not one to shy away from things that I find passionate, and sometimes, most of the time, it seeps into my writing. I want to thank the people who will support my writing style, I hope that they enjoy my stories as much as I love writing them, and if you don't like my stories, then that's cool, their is a lot of authors out there who can cater to your needs.

Lea

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you don't do fluff. I hate fluff. Gritty can be good.

I'm also glad that there are new writers out there confident enough to write what they want. I've only been reading ebooks a short time but already I'm struck by the dearth of originality. I'm also an avid reader of I/R romances and have noticed quite a bit of similarity of storylines, characters, and key words and phrases. Don't get me wrong, I love having the chance to read such good writers but sometimes it's tedious to see new writers cannibalizing the more experienced ones.

I hope within the limits of genre writing you can forge your own path. I'll tell you right now that there are enough I/R writers flogging the vampire/werewolf thing. It's great stuff and I love it but enough already. But I suppose if that's what sells you've got to ride that horse too.

ME said...

Dear B.bell, thank you for dropping in. My motto is: When Real Life Hits the Pages of Romance. I deal with issues, and I love making people say "oh no she didn't"
Stay tuned, B.Bell.

Jan said...

Lea,

I think some folks need a reality check. Well written books with believable characters and situations are always going to be on my shopping list. If other authors and readers don't like your style of writing then too bad!!! They don't have to read it.

As a collector of I/R novels I find that your writing style is refreshing honest and doesn't sugar-coat difficult situations. Give me an edgy storyline that I can relate too anyday!!

Lea I have read and enjoyed both Darian's Christmas Promise and The Price of Love. I will be looking out for your work in future. In my opinion gritty stories have a place in I/R romances as sharing life experiences in this forum can make people think about themselves and their behaviour.

Well done Lea!!!

I appreciate talented writers like yourself.

ME said...

Thank you, I really am glad that I have found a fan base, because I am not going to sell out to satisify the masses. I'm me,and I equate love to unconditional; beyond boundaries.