Tuesday, December 26, 2006

PRODIGAL AUTHOR LAYNE BLACQUE STILL NOT READY FOR PRIMETIME

You’ve seen her before. She dipped her toes into ebook publishing’s shallow waters briefly before disappearing into a search portal. Her name’s Layne (well, one of her names, anyway) and she’s not like other girls. While many authors jockey for mass love and attention, she sits in a dark corner of cyberspace blogging. And waiting.

Anyone who’s read Liquid Assets, her first shot at a romance, will you tell you her voice is rather…interesting. It’s certainly loud. And here’s something Layne will tell you herself: her stories are anything but romantic. While her stories may lack in sweetness, they certainly are abundant in truthfulness, intensity and fireworks.

On December 22 2006, she reemerged from her cave to give us Cold Comfort, her saucy, soapy tale of love and forgiveness.

Layne agreed to chat with me because I asked her. Well, I threatened her. In any case, she’s here to share and care on Christmas.


L.T. Rashard: So, where have you been?

Layne Blacque: Working. Writing articles and other non-fiction. Studying various genres. I was stressed out and needed time to unwind. Personal stuff got in the way and I had to make some choices. At the time I felt it wise to leave sensual writing by the wayside. But it wasn’t as easy as I thought it would be, lol. Writing sexy couples is addicting. Damn if I don’t like it!

L.T.R: Did you really go crazy over a lover?

L.B.: What young woman hasn’t lost her mind over a hot piece of guy at least once or twice? I wouldn’t call it going crazy. I’d call it being caught up in the rapture. We had to part ways a few months back. I was so caught up in the rapture, I got very little done. At the time, that seemed like a good thing, but after awhile we both realized we had little in common other than…being caught up in the rapture, lol!

L.T.R: With all of the controversy surrounding OMP; why go back there?

L.B.: Why wouldn’t I? Take a stroll over to Piers Anthony’s site sometime and note how rare it is for any ebook company to dodge negativity. All of them have had their skirmishes. My experience with OMP has been very pleasant. The publisher doesn’t seem to mind that my heroines are prone to tantrums and eye-rolling. I don’t mind that people seem to want to take potshots at the company. I’m sure they have their reasons. But those reasons are none of my business, are they?

L.T.R: What are you writing now?

L.B.: Well, one of the stories I’m working on is top secret. Seriously. After a bigger, less controversial pub blatantly lifted an idea from Ocean’s Mist Press this year, I was sworn to secrecy about my next project. I can say it’s coming sooner than you might think, and it’s never been done before. It’s a labor of love for my publisher and me.

L.T.R:. How do you feel about what's being published now?

L.B.: I like stories with real heart and soul. Whether e-pubbed or released from a New York house tales with real feeling touch me the most. When I find one of those, I’m always happy.

L.T.R: What's in the future for Layne Blacque?

L.B.: I really can’t say. I don’t plan life. It sorta happens to me. My mentor is trying to groom me for my New York shot. She’s trying to get me to behave and follow the rules. Whatever happens, though, I’ll still be writing in some form or another. So that means more rejections for unsympathetic characters. Not that I mind. One of my seven identities always gets in to fit in. I never allow anyone to stop me. I just take stock, refocus and sneak in there. That’s always fun.

L.T.R.: Thank you for spending time w/ me Ms. Blacque.

L.B.: See, the interview had gone so well until this last bit. “Thank you for spending time w/ me Ms. Blacque”? Like we’re strangers? Like we don’t talk everyday? Lea, please.


Get Layne at www.saintblacque.com.

Layne and L.T.’s stories are available at Ocean’s Mist Press.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great interview on one of my favorite writers, Ms. Rashard.

Anonymous said...

Lovely, funny interview. Ms Blacque's certainly grounded and I adore her work so far!

Chandra

ME said...

Let me tell you Barbara, Layne has a few more stories that are coming to OMP and they are hell hot!!!

ME said...

Hi Chandra, yes Layne is very grounded and very funny.

Zinnia said...

Congratulations for the new release.